Effective Date: June 30, 2020
California residents should use this link: California Privacy Notice of Collection to understand your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Create a KnowWho customer account to access KnowWho’s data services.
We refer to these products and services collectively as the “Services”.
We obtain information about you through the means discussed below when we provide the Services. Please note that we need certain types of information so that we can provide the Services to you. If you do not provide us with such information, or ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use our Services.
1. Information You Provide to Us
KnowWho collects a variety of information that you provide directly to us. For example, KnowWho collects information from you through:
- Processing your orders
- Requests or questions you submit to us via forms or email
- Your communications and dealings with us (including on our website, at conferences, over the phone, on third-party social media sites, and by mail or email)
- The Services that you use
- Any reviews that you submit about the Services and KnowWho products
- Employment applications
- Account and product registration and administration of your account
- Requests for customer support and technical assistance
Information about you. While some of the Services may not require you to provide any information that can directly identify you by name, the specific types of information we collect will depend upon the Services you use, how you use them, and the information you choose to provide. The types of data we collect directly from you includes:
- Name, address, telephone number and email address (and company name, address, contact information, and other company details if you are using a KnowWho business website or product)
- Log-in credentials, if you create a KnowWho account
- Billing information, such as shipping address, credit or debit card number, verification number, and expiration date
- Information about licenses or other transactions with us
- Demographic information such as your gender
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to KnowWho in connection with your use of the Services.
2. Information We Collect Through Automated Means
When you use our Services, we collect certain information as described in this Section. As discussed further below, we and our service providers (which are third party companies that work on our behalf), may use a variety of technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
Websites. When you use our website, we collect and analyze information such as your IP address, browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Services, software and hardware attributes (including device IDs) referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, files you download, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the terms you use in searches on our website, the date and time you used the Services and upload or post content, error logs, and other similar information.
Location Information. When you use the Services, we and our service providers may automatically collect general location information (e.g., IP address, city/state and or postal code associated with an IP address) from your computer or mobile device. This information allows us to enable access to content that varies based on a user’s general location (e.g., providing access to local radio stations).
3. Information We Collect from Social Media and Other Platforms
When you “like” or “follow” us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or other social media sites, we may collect some information from you including your name, e-mail address, and any comments or content you post relevant to us.
4. Information We Collect from Others
KnowWho may receive additional information such as demographic and statistical information from third parties, such as business partners, marketers, researchers, analysts, and other parties that we may attribute to you based on your assignment to certain statistical groups.
- Complete a purchase or provide the Services you have requested, including invoicing and accounting
- Respond to your request for information and provide you with more effective and efficient customer service
- Provide you with updates and information about products you have purchased from us
- Review and process employment applications, as discussed further below in the “Employment Applications” section
- Contact you by email, postal mail, or phone regarding KnowWho and third-party products, services, surveys, research studies, promotions, special events and other subjects that we think may be of interest to you
- Customize the advertising and content on the Services
- Help us better understand your interests and needs, and improve the Services
- Engage in analysis, research, and reports regarding use of our Services
- Synthesize and derive insights from your use of different Services
- Provide, manage, and improve the Services and their performance, and test and create new products, features, and services
- Secure our websites, products, software, applications
- Understand and resolve app crashes and other issues being reported
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
Aggregate/Anonymous Data. We may aggregate and/or anonymize any information collected through the Services so that such information can no longer be linked to you or your device (“Aggregate/Anonymous Information”). We may use Aggregate/Anonymous Information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, and sponsors.
LEGAL BASES FOR USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our websites, products, software, or applications; operate our business and our Services; ensure safe environments for our staff; make and receive payments; comply with legal requirements and defend our legal rights; prevent fraud and to know the customer to whom we are providing Services).
- Where we have your consent, in accordance with applicable legal requirements, to use your information for a particular purpose.
- Where we use your information to comply with applicable legal obligations (for example, keeping track of purchases for tax and auditing purposes).
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
To collect the information in the “Information We Automatically Collect” section above, we and our service providers use Internet server logs, cookies, tags, SDKs, tracking pixels, and other similar tracking technologies. We use these technologies in order to offer you a more tailored experience in the future, by understanding and remembering your particular browsing preferences.
- A web server log is a file where website activity is stored.
- An SDK is a set of tools and/or code that we embed in our applications and software to allow third parties to collect information about how users interact with the Services.
- A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a site, that enables us to: (i) recognize your computer; (ii) store your preferences and settings; (iii) understand the web pages of the Services you have visited; (iv), enhance your user experience by delivering and measuring the effectiveness of content and advertising tailored to your interests; (v) perform searches and analytics; and (vi) assist with security and administrative functions. Some cookies are placed in your browser cache while those associated with Flash technologies are stored with your Adobe Flash Player files.
- Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as web beacons or clear GIFs) are tiny electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites, online ads and/or email that are designed to: (1) collect usage information like ad impressions or clicks and email open rates; (2) measure popularity of the Services and associated advertising; and (3) access user cookies.
As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather information through other methods.
For more information on how to change your cookie settings, as well as the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them, please refer to our Cookies Notice.
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND ADVERTISING
We may use third-party web and mobile application analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics, LinkedIn, and Pardot) on our Services to collect and analyze usage information through cookies and similar tools; engage in auditing, research, or reporting; assist with fraud prevention; and provide certain features to you. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. We may also use Adobe Analytics to analyze and optimize the performance of our websites, advertising, and content. Learn more about Adobe’s privacy practices and to make choices regarding Adobe’s tracking activities.
If you receive email from us, we may use certain analytics tools, such as clear GIFs to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
2. Notice Concerning Do Not Track.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our website for third party purposes, and that is why we provide the variety of opt-out mechanisms listed above. However, we do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated DNT signals. Learn more about Do Not Track.
HOW WE SHARE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
KnowWho will share your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We provide access to or share your information with select third parties who perform services on our behalf. They have access to perform these services but are prohibited from using your information for other purposes. They provide a variety of services to us, including billing, sales, marketing, product materials, and advertising, analytics, research, customer service, shipping and fulfillment, data storage, security, fraud prevention, payment processing, and legal services.
- Other Third-party Services. Similarly, if you use a third-party service that works in connection with your KnowWho products, you acknowledge that information may be shared with the third party during the connection (e.g. information about how you use your KnowWho product). If you choose to initiate these connections, you agree that the third-party’s policies and terms, and not KnowWho’s, govern these connections. We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of these third-parties.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may buy, merge, or partner with other companies. In such transactions, (including in contemplation of such transactions) user information may be among the transferred assets. If a portion or all of KnowWho’s assets are sold or transferred to a third-party, customer information (including your email address) would likely be one of the transferred business assets. If such transfer is subject to additional mandatory restrictions under applicable laws, KnowWho will comply with such restrictions.
- Public Forums. Certain features of our Services make it possible for you to share comments publicly with other users. Any information that you submit through such features is not confidential, and KnowWho may use it for any purpose (including in testimonials or other marketing materials). For example, if you submit a product review on our website, we may display your review (along with the name provided, if any) on KnowWho’s website and on third-party websites.
- Aggregate/Anonymous Information. From time to time, KnowWho may share Aggregate/Anonymous Information about use of the Services, such as by publishing a report on usage trends. The sharing of such data is unrestricted.
RETENTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS AND YOUR CHOICES
You have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
1. Your Legal Rights
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law, please contact our Data Protection Officer using the information in the “KnowWho Contact Information” section below at any time. To exercise any of your rights please fill out our request form or email us at email@example.com. If you are a California or Nevada resident, please see the “Information for California Residents” or “Information for Nevada Residents” sections of the policy for the data rights that are applicable to you. Your local laws may permit you to request that we:
- provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you
- prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling)
- update or rectify information which is out of date or incorrect
- delete certain information which we are holding about you
- oppose, cancel, or restrict the way that we process and disclose certain information
- transfer your information to a third-party provider of services
- revoke your consent for the processing of your information
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request as required or permitted by applicable law.
2. Marketing Communications and Sharing
3. Placing an Order for KnowWho Products
To place an order on our websites, you must have cookies enabled. If you would like to place an order for KnowWho products or services but you have disabled cookies, please call us at 1-888-566-9946 to place your order by phone or visit our Contact us page for additional KnowWho contact information.
4. Cross-device Tracking Opt Out
If you wish to opt out of cross device tracking for purposes of interest-based advertising, you may do so through your Android or Apple device-based settings.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND FEATURES
The Services are intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 without legally-valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding your rights with respect to your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)). We describe the categories of personal information we collect, the sources and uses of such information, and the entities to which we share such information in our California Privacy Notice of Collection.
A. California Data Access and Deletion Rights
If you are a California resident, the CCPA allows you to make certain requests about your personal information. Specifically, the CCPA allows you to request us to:
- Inform you about the categories of personal information we collect or disclose about you; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information; and the categories of third parties with whom we share/disclose personal information.
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you.
- Delete certain personal information we have about you.
- Provide you with information about the financial incentives that we offer to you, if any.
The CCPA further provides you with the right to not be discriminated against (as provided for in applicable law) for exercising your access, deletion, or sale opt out rights.
Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under California law. For example, we need certain information in order to provide the Services to you.
Verification: We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before responding to a request, which may include, at a minimum, depending on the sensitivity of the information you are requesting and the type of request you are making, verifying your name and email address.
You are also permitted to designate an authorized agent to submit certain requests on your behalf. In order for an authorized agent to be verified, you must provide the authorized agent with signed, written permission to make such requests or a power of attorney. We may also follow up with you to verify your identity before processing the authorized agent’s request.
If you would like further information regarding your legal rights under California law or would like to exercise any of them, please fill out our request form or call 1-888-566-9946. You can also email us for further inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B. California “Shine the Light” Disclosure
The California “Shine the Light” law gives residents of California the right under certain circumstances to opt out of the sharing of certain categories of personal information (as defined in the Shine the Light law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
INFORMATION FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
Under Nevada law, Nevada residents who have purchased goods or services from us may opt out of the “sale” of “covered information” (as such terms are defined under Nevada law). “Covered information” includes, among other things, first and last name, address, email address, and phone number. If you are a Nevada resident who has purchased goods or services from us, you may submit a request to opt out of any future sales under Nevada law by contacting us via email at email@example.com. Please note we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity and the authenticity of the request.
INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL USERS
Please note that in providing services to you, KnowWho may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, other members within the KnowWho group, trusted service providers, and trusted business partners in countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, in accordance with applicable law. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of Services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you are based. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
KnowWho takes technical and organizational security measures to protect your information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access. However, no method of transmission over the internet, and no means of electronic or physical storage, is absolutely secure. As such, you acknowledge and accept that we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to, through, or on our Services or via the Internet and that any such transmission is at your own risk.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access to a KnowWho account, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The Services may contain careers sections that link to websites where you can apply for employment at KnowWho. KnowWho will use and share your information only for employment purposes, such as evaluating you for a job opportunity or communicating with you about your interests, and where sharing is required by law. If you have any questions about the handling of your employment application data, please contact us through one of the methods described below.
KNOWWHO CONTACT INFORMATION
You may also contact our Data Protection Officer by using the email address above or by postal mail at the following address: KnowWho, Inc Attn: Bruce Brownson, CEO and President, 8198 Terminal Road, Suite 200, Lorton VA 22019.
Under the CCPA, Californians have the right to know what personal information is being collected about them; to know whether their personal information is sold or disclosed and to whom; and to access their personal information. KnowWho ("Company") collected the following categories of personal information from its consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers: a real name, alias, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
- Personal information Categories: a name, signature, address, telephone number, fax number, social media URLs, education, employment, employment history, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law: Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
- Commercial information: Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered
- Geolocation data: Physical location or movements.
- Professional or employment-related information: Current or past job history.
- Inferences drawn from other personal information: Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
<DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION>
<KNOWWHO CCPA PRIVACY NOTICE>
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, the ways in which Company collects and uses your information described below and in the Privacy Notice, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
• Phone: 1-888-566-9946
• Website: https://kw1.knowwho.com/company/contact-us/
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Postal Address:
Attn: Bruce Brownson, CEO and President
8198 Terminal Road, Suite 200
Lorton VA 22019